I made this up-cycled Steampunk wall cabinet for Kathleen for Christmas. It uses wood salvaged from an antique wood filing cabinet.
The wood portions were taken entirely from these wood drawer sides I scavenged from an antique filing cabinet. They are pretty nice solid wood one half inch thick. I think its American Beech, but it could be Ash or Poplar as well. The filing cabinet was given to me by some friends who thought I might want to restore it. Once I started looking at it, it became obvious that it was pretty much beyond repair. So I scrapped it out for the hardware. These drawer sides I saved because they were solid wood and had a nice patina.
The first thing I did was rip the boards all to the same width. This cut off the small grooves where the drawer bottoms slid into.
I used three of the boards cut to the same length and glued together for the front and back of the cabinet.
The sides, top and bottom were cut to the proper lengths, then glued and screwed to the back.
This is the completed box that is the base of the cabinet.
Another view showing the back.
A center shelf piece was cut to length and shelf supports fastened into place.
Here the shelf is set in place. A narrow strip was also screwed and glued to the bottom of the front. This will be the mounting spot for the hinges of the door front.
The door front has been set in place on top of the narrow strip in this picture.
Everything was then sanded and stained.
These blocks were cut and stained.
These vintage hinges are the reason for the blocks. I had these in my inventory and thought they would look perfect.
Here everything has been given two coats of varnish and the front door and hinges are mounted. Steel angle iron sides pieces were cut and mounted temporarily before painting.
A view with the door open.
A piece of angle iron will act as the latch and is set in place here on the top of the door.
A pieces of 1/4 inch brass will be screwed to the latch. Lifting the bar will allow the door to be swung forward.
Here the latch is set with brass supports is in place.
Chains were added to support the door at 90 degrees when open.
A close up of the latch. All the angle iron has been painted black.
The latch lifts like this allowing the door to be opened.
A brass knob with numbered brass plate was added to the center/top of the door.
The complete cabinet open.
These two pictures are of the cabinet mounted to the wall in its final location.