This is a closeup of a firewood holder I purchased at a flea market several years ago.
In order to prevent it from scratching the wood floor I used some off the shelf pads. They don’t fit the feet all that well so I decided to Steampunk it up a bit.
I started by cutting some oak blocks to about the right size.
I cut out four of them and then stained them. The copper strip will be used to add an accent around each pad.
Each pad had two copper bands applied about 1/4 inch from the bottom.
The copper strips were pre-drilled for mounting to the oak pads.
Brass screws were used to hold the copper strips to the pads.
Two strips were made for each pad.
The feet on the firewood bin had protruding centers. Holes were drilled in each pad for these centers to rest in.
Four pads are shown here, all drilled and ready to varnish.
Varnished pads with cut and shaped copper strips.
Copper strips pre-drilled.
A varnished pad with copper accent applied.
The four pads almost complete.
This brass strip was bent in this shape in order to cover the gaps between copper strips. It was cut and drilled at the black mark so it could be screwed to the pad surface and held in place.
The brass strip covering the gap between copper strips.
Adhesive backed yellow felt was cut to size and stuck to the bottom of each pad.
The four completed Steampunk floor protector pads. The screws holding the brass strips in place can be seen here.
The firewood bin resting on the floor protector pads.
The firewood bin with all four protector pads in place.